Wednesday, August 13, 2008

i know this happens annually, but it's not my favorite

Ah, slow news time. Doesn't feel like slow news time, but it must be, as tech bloggers are smarmingly negating public relations as a profession. To say it 's a changing prefession is completely valid. This much I buy. A stagnant profession just won't do. But Mike Arrington, at Tech Crunch, actually headlines with "The PR Roadblock to Blissful Blogging." Are we really a hindrance to creativity? You give us a lot of credit!

Seriously? If startups had press flooding their inboxes, perhaps my profession would be negated. But for clients who have no idea where to begin- sorry mike, but there are appropriately evangelistic CEOs who do not know they ought to immerse themselves in techcrunch- sometimes PR is a good starting point. there are PR people who are true evangelists for their clients, wanting to spread the word because their clients have a viable model. I know this, because I am one of them. I want to pitch appropriately, I want to garner great stories for my clients. I want to introduce my client to the appropriate channels to get involved in, the appropriate communities to actively participate in, and hopefully introduce them to the right media. I'll even let the journalist/blogger decide how to write the story. (is that really so rare?).

Isn’t it possible that we can work in happy web harmony under mutual terms? Why does it matter where the discovery to write about something comes from- pr person vs stumbling upon something through a community? Isn’t the end result - the piece of news you create- the important part?


The article is here: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/08/13/the-pr-roadblock-on-the-road-to-blissful-blogging/#comments

No comments: